We made a cheese plate for easter & i had a few recipe requests for the accompanying chutneys –lovely with strong cheese, gamey meats and pâté.
–here they are:
Extra virgin olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
1 sweet onion, peeled and finely diced
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely minced
3 Tb fresh thyme, leaves picked
8 dried juniper berries
1-2 pepper corns
1/2 c (earthy) red wine
5 handfuls (1 & 1/2 pints) fresh blueberries
1 glug maple syrup
1 Tb balsamic vinegar
scant 1/4 c butter
- bash together thyme, juniper & pepper with mortar and pestle
- sweat onions, shallot and garlic for 5 minutes
- add wine, juniper, pepper, thyme- bring to simmer over medium heat
- cook till liquid volume is reduced by half
- add blue berries & maple syrup reduce heat to a slow simmer, cook about 5 minutes till berries pop.
- season to taste with salt and vinegar
- continue slow simmer for 2 min. Remove from heat add the butter and jiggle pan so the sauce goes slightly opaque and shiny. immediately place in 250ml sterilized jar and seal.
Before using this on our cheese plate we had it on some venison burgers instead of relish.
2 apples (tart and firm)
2 dried apricots
sm. handful dried cherries (1/4 c)
4 dried prunes
2 Tb cider vinegar
1/4 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c water/apple juice
1/4 tsp hot indian chilli powder or cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
- peel core and dice apple, dice dried fruit to same size
- place in sauce pot with remaining ingredients, bring to simmer and cook about 20-25 minutes.
1 lg. sweet onion
2 Tb butter
2 Tb olive oil
cook together over very low heat for a long long time, until onion has reduced and turned caramel in colour-about 1 & 1/2 hrs